13.1.04



The 10-minute nosebleed

What's wrong with this conversation?


Blah, blah, blah
Like, your hair is like so straight.
Yah, it's like just like yours.
Like yah, but like darker.
Like, um, so did you like, um, break up?
Well, like, we did for today. Like who knows?
Blah blah blah blah.

Please shoot me and put me out of my misery! How do teachers put up with this nonsense?

I stood beside these two girls on the metro - visions of smacking their heads in an attempt to knock some sense into them floated through my mind. I gratefully exited the train after the second stop.

Guys don't speak like this!

Granted - some guys use a foreign, obscure lingo to communicate, but that male dialect doesn't include the ubiquitous "Like."

Why and how did this word grab such a hold of everyday language?

I'll admit, I'm guilty of scattering "like" throughout a conversation, but not more than once in the same breath!

Anyone out there got a clever strategy on how to eliminate "like" from the English language?





Blah blah blah

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home