18.8.03



A European vacation

Most employers in DC provide 10 paid days of vacation leave per year. Some think tanks, like the Brookings Institution, start employees off with 5 paid weeks. And embassy employers follow the laws of the home country, providing employees with 6 - 8 weeks of paid leave per year.

Joe Robinson is lobbying for a national three-week minimum paid leave law. I can't imagine what my life would be like without those three weeks off, and more often than not it's not enough.

I traveled to Portugal with my parents last summer. My Portuguese family were appalled that I was only visiting for a week. After all, they had the entire month of August off. Why couldn't I have taken off another week? They could not understand that had I extended my leave, I wouldn't be able to accrue enough days to visit my family for a week at Christmas.


Joe Robinson writes in his Alternet piece:

"Vacations are being downsized by the same forces that brought us soaring work weeks: labor cutbacks, a sense of false urgency created by tech tools, fear and guilt. Managers use the climate of job insecurity to stall, cancel and abbreviate paid leave, while piling on guilt. The message, overt or implied, is that it would be a burden on the company to take all your vacation days – or any. Employees get the hint: One out of five employees say they feel guilty taking their vacation, reports Expedia's survey."

My time off is sacred. How many of you don't take a vacation? Or feel guilty about taking one? Or don't have vacation time to take off? Would you consider less pay for a more generous and flexible leave package?

10 Comments:

Anonymous Tyrone Miller said...

electrical estimating
electrical estimating services
electrical estimators
electrical estimators group

1/8/21, 9:49 AM  
Blogger New In Urdu said...

Thanks for sharing this information thanks admin
Thanks for sharing this information thanks admin

2/18/21, 8:15 AM  
Anonymous fossils said...

arbravo
arbravo
arbravo
arbravo
arbravo
arbravo
arbravo
arbravo
arbravo
arbravo
arbravo
arbravo
arbravo
arbravo
arbravo
arbravo
arbravo
arbravo
arbravo
arbravo
arbravo

7/12/21, 5:22 PM  
Anonymous imran khan said...

Excellent article. I'm sure the post will be good, and I'm astonished you wrote it, man! Excellent work, and please keep it up! I couldn't agree more, and I've saved this to Pocket as well! Keep it up, dude.

12/13/21, 12:31 AM  
Blogger Bell News said...

My Name Is a Ertugrul And I Am From Turkey i Just Read Blog
Very Good Blog Amazing Look And Informative look like A Professional Blog.
Ertugrul Ghazi

1/12/22, 4:14 PM  
Blogger Hi-Biography said...

I really loved reading your Content I had a wonderful experience ❤ loved the good work but I'll really appreciate it, if you could check my site on My Blog

1/19/22, 9:39 AM  
Blogger Gemstelecom said...

internet trois-rivieresOur fastest speed for split second streaming and downloading. Many users can browse at lightning speed on many devices.

1/20/22, 7:15 AM  
Blogger insta-fb-captions said...

Checkout Pregnancy Congratulations Wishes For Friends

2/26/22, 7:19 AM  
Blogger Gemstelecom said...

internet alma
Gemstelecom provides internet access all over the world and is looking to expand their services to new countries. If you are in an area where there is no service or the service is not good, please contact Gemstelecom and they will work to get you connected. They also offer a variety of other telecommunications services that may be of interest to you. Contact Gemstelecom today to learn more about their company and how they can help you stay connected.

3/29/22, 7:16 AM  
Anonymous hims said...

This is an amazing post for me as well as for all.Well anyways thanks for the post and keep on sharing.

https://www.edpharmacy.club/health/telehealth-for-a-healthy-handsome-you-hims/

8/12/22, 6:29 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home