24.11.03



Hitting the pavement

Unemployment is not a funny business. Daily, I listen to reports on improved consumer confidence, decreased unemployment, a new-and-improved economy.

What do you think about that?

I have a temporary position available in my department that pays about $10.00/hour. The individual that fills this opening needs to be proficient in Photoshop and various graphic arts/database computer programs. It's an administrative position.

I've interviewed three people this morning. One woman, graduated from an Ivy League school the year I did, has an advanced degree, and is interviewing for a data entry temp. job?

Most of my friends and family are employed. Some aren't thrilled about the positions they're in and the lack of mobility in their areas, but the paycheck comes in every Friday. I also know people who have been unemployed for over a year, and not for lack of trying to find a job.

I wonder which is more true - the statistical reports touting a revived economy or the pile of resumes from candidates overqualified for the position available.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home